Thank you for your interest in the youth orchestras. It’s going to be another wonderful year of making music in person! Rehearsals start September 26th, 2022.
Audition dates for the 23-24 season will be posted here. Assigned times will be emailed to students who have signed up for an audition. Questions? call the office at 541-484-0473
We will continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation in Lane County closely and will only require masks or move to online rehearsals if it is recommended. Safety remains our top priority, and we will follow the state and local guidelines as they are updated.
To learn more about the different ensembles, please go to the Programs tab and read about them. If you still have questions about joining our orchestras, you can send an email to email@example.com.
Please be sure to tell your musical friends and teachers about ESYO! We hope to see students from many schools and areas represented, and full instrumentation for the youth orchestras. If you have questions, your teacher is a great person to talk to about auditioning.
Auditions are approximately 5-6 minutes long, and include a solo no longer than 3 mins., as well as scales and possibly sight-reading. See below for requirements, audition tips, and eligibility guidelines. Students should always prepare what best demonstrates their skills. Our goal is to place students in the orchestra where we believe they will have the most successful and enjoyable experience.
- Step 1 – Sign up for an audition online. The online forms have a place for day/time preference, but please be flexible!
- Step 2 – Practice required audition materials – click here for a list. Prepare something that best shows your skills.
- Step 3 – Look for an email with your time slot and put it on your calendar.
- Step 4 – Please arrive 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled time to make sure the auditions transition from one to the next smoothly. Please don’t arrive too early – there will be minimal warm-up space available.
- Step 5 – Check in at the table and wait for someone to show you the warm-up room and/or your audition room.
- Step 6 – When you enter the room, introduce yourself, and give the judge a copy of your solo. Announce the scales and solo you will be playing.
- Step 7 – Look for results of auditions, which will be posted within two weeks of your audition.
- Step 8 – If you are accepted into an orchestra, your registration materials will be available on the corresponding orchestra page on our website in mid-August. These are due with your first payment by Labor Day.
- Orchestra rehearsals begin Monday, Sept 26th.
- Thank you!
Remember: Auditions are not meant to stress students out! Prepare your solo and scales carefully, and you will be fine. Everyone is nervous, but our goal is to place each student in the ensemble that will give them the best musical experience.
CLICK HERE for a USEFUL TIPSHEET!
- Feel free to dress up a little for your audition. Although it is not required, it can help some students feel ready for a performance
- Play music you are comfortable with and best displays your skills.
- Practice your audition in front of family and friends. This can really help with nerves.
- Introduce yourself and your selections before you play.
ESYO Participation Policies:
ESYO works closely in collaboration with local schools to support a well-rounded musical experience. We appreciate and value the daily instruction and rehearsal offered in school musical ensembles, which provides a wealth of benefits for student musicians. We strongly recommend and encourage all ESYO musicians to be enrolled in their school music program if one is available.
Attendance: Your presence at rehearsal is very important! Regular attendance is essential for maintaining the continuity and quality of your orchestra.